Top Stories Daily Listen Now
RawStory
RawStory

All posts tagged "ice shooting"

Outrage as visibly upset Trump border czar blurts out shock admission

President Donald Trump's border czar, Tom Homan, became visibly upset outside the White House, blurting out a shock admission to reporters before storming off.

Homan was talking about Minnesota and other ICE shootings and the public demand for federal law enforcement agents to wear body cameras following to multiple ICE killings, including deaths in Maine and Texas this month.

"All the mistakes they say happened in Minnesota — the mistakes they claim in Minnesota, a lot of them I don't think were mistakes," Homan admitted, shocking onlookers.

He also argued that the people killed by ICE did not follow directions, which led to their demise.

"It comes down to one simple fact — these people failed to comply with law enforcement ... all they had to do is comply. If they did, they'd be alive today," Homan said.

Before walking off upset, he complained that he can't buy milk in a store without a security detail, calling it "pathetic and disgusting."

Commentators quickly responded.

"Guessing many elected Republicans on the ‘26 ballot, including Susan Collins, won’t be happy that the official WH line on ICE killings is to blame the dead," journalist Chuck Todd wrote on X.

"You mean like Ashli Babbitt?" Meidas Touch editor-in-chief Ron Filipkowski wrote on X.

"Alex Pretti had turned away and was not engaging when DHS agents still attacked and killed him," David J. Bier, immigration policy analyst at the Cato Institute Director of Immigration Studies, wrote on X.

"No mistakes. Just horrific policy," Duncan Jones, director of "Warcraft," wrote on Bluesky.

Susan Collins warned on Fox News that her votes are about to come back to haunt her

A Fox News co-host said Friday that Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) could face a tough road in the upcoming elections to maintain her Senate seat in the fallout over the fatal ICE shooting in her state.

Democratic strategist Jessica Tarlov pointed out that since Democratic Senate candidate Graham Platner stepped down from the race amid allegations of sexual assault, it's opened up more questions and scrutiny over Collins' vote on ICE funding as potential Democratic hopefuls push their campaigns forward.

"There is a lot of energy right now in Maine, and it is blue energy in the Democratic sense," Tarlov said. "There is a reason that they are talking about the policies of Graham Platner because they were overwhelmingly popular with the primary electorate."

Now, it's been six years, and Collins has voted with Trump "95 percent of the time," Tarlov added.

"Right now Maine is in full crisis mode over this ICE murder from last week of Johan Guerrero," she said. "Everyone's talking about Susan Collins, one of the deciding votes for that extra $70 billion for ICE funding."

Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin's threats on Friday that federal immigration officials would ramp up street-level enforcement could also be problematic for Collins, Tarlov argued.

"We're going to be turning up the heat in the streets," she said. "Susan Collins doesn't want any heat up in the streets. Susan Collins is going to have a very difficult time hanging on if things like this are going on in her state, and if you can tie her directly to the funding."

"She's got to run even stronger than she did in 2020; this is a different environment, and it is a very anti-Trump environment, and she is tied with him with 95% of her votes," Tarlov added.

'You're lying!' MAGA commentator backed into a corner while defending deadly crackdown

A MAGA pundit on CNN couldn't finish defending a recent Trump administration controversy before an outraged opponent jumped down her throat.

During a panel hosted by CNN anchor Abby Phillip, New York Post columnist Lydia Moynihan tried to slap down claims that Immigration and Customs Enforcement is a "rogue agency" after it was involved in two deadly shootings earlier this week.

"Trump feels very keenly, and folks in his administration, he was elected to do this," Moynihan said. "He was elected because people wanted deportations, and I think it's important when we talk about this issue to provide the context."

She went on to explain the Trump administration's perspective, saying, "They see every day that passes, if we aren't deporting potentially unvetted illegal criminals, that there is an opportunity it will cost them."

However, before Moynihan finished speaking, Ana Navarro, a former Republican strategist and CNN senior political commentator, stopped her and blasted her use of the word "criminals" as they were talking about the two immigrants who were killed by ICE this week, including one who may have been in the United States legally.

"They are not criminals," Navarro said. "And over 70 percent of the people that are getting deported and detained do not have criminal records."

Moynihan tried to defend her point, but she could barely speak over Navarro, who leaned forward and shouted at her.

"Be careful with your words, and be accurate on national TV," Navarro sharply continued as Moynihan kept repeating, "My point is that — " without finishing her sentence.

"You're lying!" Navarro said. "You're lying."

"I'm not lying," Moynihan said before again giving a truncated, "My point is that —"

Mainers stunned as 'horrific' ICE killing ripples through community: 'It's just surreal'

Maine residents told CNN they were outraged on Tuesday after ICE agents fatally shot a 26-year-old father in a car.

Joan Sebastian Durán Guerrero, who was authorized to work in the United States, was shot and killed during a traffic stop in Biddeford, Maine, on Monday. Community members were upset by the fatal shooting and showed support for Guerrero and his family, said CNN correspondent Jason Carroll.

"You always knew it was a possibility here because there's been a heavy presence since January, and especially in this area in Biddeford. And when you hear about this, it's just surreal," one resident told CNN.

"This could be happening to any one of us, any one of us. He's a 26-year-old with a child. He has a legitimate reason for being here. He had social security. It's horrific," another local told CNN.

The Department of Homeland Security Office of the Inspector General will be leading the investigation into the fatal shooting, along with the FBI and Maine Attorney General's Office, Carroll reported.

"Those whom we have told about who will be heading up the investigation still have a great deal of distrust against the federal government, given all that has happened," he added. "They have a lot of questions that they're hoping will be answered in this investigation, namely, why was there the use of deadly force? That's for a second. Why were the officers not using body-worn cameras? And why was this man targeted?"

'Huge reversal' as ICE suspends most traffic stops after two fatal shootings: report

ICE has suspended traffic stops after two recent fatal shootings in a "huge reversal" of its previous policy, CNN immigration correspondent Priscilla Alvarez reported Tuesday.

The move comes after ICE fatally shot two men this week in Biddeford, Maine, and last week in Houston, Texas, both during vehicle stops.

Immigration agents will continue to conduct arrests for undocumented immigrants, but the guidance now tells them to work with partner agencies and local authorities, Alvarez said.

"This, again, is a significant development. Under pressure to ramp up immigration arrests, ICE agents have been frequently leaning on these vehicle stops, something that they really didn't use to do in the past," Alvarez said. "Instead, they would usually do door knocks, going to houses they had been surveilling, but recently we have been seeing an uptick in these vehicle stops."

Protests flare up at Susan Collins' office after ICE shooting in Maine

A group of protesters swarmed Sen. Susan Collins' (R-ME) office Monday after an ICE shooting left a 26-year-old Colombian man dead, according to reports.

The group flooded the streets outside the longtime Republican's Maine headquarters after ICE fatally shot Joan Sebastian Guerrero in a car in Biddeford, Maine, the Bangor Daily News reported. Immigration rights groups said he was authorized to work in the United States.

ICE officials said that the man was attempting to use the car as a weapon against the federal agents. But videos from the shooting show agents walking beside a slow-rolling car, undercutting the government's claim that the driver tried to use it as a weapon.

ICE-involved shooting shuts down part of interstate as FBI launches investigation

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in Sacramento was launching a probe Tuesday after a shooting involving U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents and U.S. Customs and Border Patrol officers near San Jose, California.

KNTV reported that the Tuesday morning shooting shut down on- and off-ramps on Interstate 5 and Sperry Avenue in Patterson, California.

It's unclear if anyone was injured.

"FBI Sacramento is responding to the scene of an ICE and CBP involved shooting in Patterson, California," the FBI announced on X. "We are conducting a thorough investigation in partnership with the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Office and are grateful for the Patterson community's continued patience and support. As the investigation is in its early stages, we are unable to release additional information at this time."

'It won't be easy': Lawyer breaks down what must happen next in ICE shooting case

A lawyer has explained what must happen next in the courts as prosecutors continue to seek justice for Alex Pretti and Renee Good.

The two civilians were shot and killed by Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents earlier this year, with state officials "at a loss as to how to proceed", according to legal expert Chris Truax. Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty, he says, is struggling to bring an "apparently stymied" Bureau of Criminal Apprehension into the fold, while crime scene access has been flatly denied.

This causes a logjam which the court must now solve by taking a tough line against the government, Truax told The Hill. He wrote, "In the vast majority of these incidents, there is never any question what happened. The only questions are about why it happened and whether the officer behaved reasonably under the circumstances."

"We’re not going to get that in the Renee Good and Alex Pretti shootings. Kristi Noem’s ridiculous insistence that the victims in both cases were 'domestic terrorists' makes a credible federal investigation impossible. That’s assuming that the federal government and the Department of Homeland Security have any interest in conducting a proper investigation, which they do not appear to.

"In short, no one will now believe any federal investigation has been conducted fairly, especially if it exonerates those involved. That’s as much a shame for the officers themselves as it is for the country."

But there is a route through that the courts must now take, according to Truax. He wrote, "So if there are going to be credible investigations in these cases, they are going to have to be conducted by state prosecutors, and they are going to have to do it without federal cooperation and without any of the evidence that is typically available in an officer-involved shooting.

"In both the Renee Good and Alex Pretti shootings, state prosecutors already have the testimony of multiple eyewitnesses and corroborating video available. Body camera footage and cooperation from the federal government would be nice, but it’s hardly necessary. The evidence that’s already available documents the entire incident, from the minutes leading up to the shooting all the way through the aftermath."

"This is not to say that a prosecution will be easy or that there are no difficult issues to be resolved. But these issues are legal issues — like whether supremacy clause immunity will apply — not factual. They won’t be resolved by investigation, they’ll be resolved by litigation. The sooner that process starts, the better."

Truax went on to say Minnesota "must step up" and push back against the government rhetoric that has existed over the last seven weeks.

Hotel guest cheats death as ICE agent's bullet rips through wall: report

A retired federal agent rehired by Immigration and Customs Enforcement and deployed to Minnesota has been involved in a hotel shooting.

The incident, which led to no deaths or injuries, led to police rushing to a Hampton Inn in December. Agent Bradley Shaver, 53, reportedly misfired his gun after changing the handle of his Glock 19. A police report seen by the Sahan Journal states the bullet travelled through into the adjacent room, where a hotel guest had checked in.

The report states the bullet went through the ICE agent's sweatshirt pocket, through the wall, and into the headboard of the bed in the opposite room.

Aaron Wukawitz, the room's occupant, says he could have been killed by the stray bullet, while an advocacy group has since questioned the ICE agent's use of his pistol at the hotel.

"That could have literally killed me," the hotel guest said.

Megan Newcomb, an organizer with Sunrise Movement, added, "The scary thing about this gun story is not only are hotel workers at risk, but people just coming to Minnesota are at risk."

Wakuwitz, 32, says he overheard a conversation between Shaver and an unnamed person speaking with the ICE agent on the phone.

“It just went off,” Shaver said, according to Wakuwitz, “You could tell in his voice it was pure panic, a total accident." Wakuwitz added, "He was like, ‘The bullet went through your room."

An Eagan officer wrote in the police report, "He [Shaver] described to me that he was holding the gun by the red dot sight and the back of the weapon while he was trying to wedge the backstrap back onto the grip.

“As he was doing this, he heard a very loud bang. Initially he thought the gunshot came from somewhere else and he yelled ‘shots fired’ and then told his wife he had to go and hung up. Shaver then felt heat on the left side of his body, looked down and saw the damage to his shirt and realized the shot had come from his own weapon."

Wakuwitz has accepted the incident was an accident, though he states Shaver must have had his finger on the trigger at the time of the shooting.

He added, "There’s no way you could do this unless your finger was on the trigger. There’s no way."

Internal ICE documents prove it knows agents' actions 'deeply problematic': watchdog

Documents recently released by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency show employees are aware its practices against members of the public are problematic.

Chioma Chukwu, the executive director of American Oversight, confirmed the group had received fresh documents from ICE following a Freedom of Information request. The documents, Chukwu told Politico, paint a "deeply troubling picture of the violent methods used by ICE."

Also featured is a slide deck noting ICE approval to enter homes without a warrant from the administration.

Politico columnist Eric Bazail-Eimil wrote, "A slide deck from July included notes about the administration’s controversial move to allow ICE to enter homes with only an administrative warrant — ones issued by an agency, not a court — in order to apprehend and deport unauthorized immigrants with final orders of removal.

"The slides contradicted the guidance of a May memo from [Todd] Lyons, which said that agents could use I-205 forms — which apply to those with final orders of removal authorizing an immigrant’s deportation from the United States — to enter homes."

Those slides were deemed "under review" according to instructor notes featured in the slide deck, which was finalized in July 2025. Bazail-Eimil added, "That suggests that the policy was not as iron-tight as previously believed.

"The administration has said it has the legal basis to enter homes with only administrative warrants. Congressional Democrats have insisted ICE still needs a warrant signed by a judge to enter homes."

The discrepancies, Chukwu believes, "suggest ICE knows its practices are deeply problematic — and is deliberately hiding the ball to avoid public scrutiny."

The practices discovered in the new documents contrast with Kristi Noem's recent statement, with the US Secretary of Homeland Security backing ICE in January this year.

She said on Jan. 15, "Our ICE agents are following the law and are running their operations according to training." Further findings from the documents indicate ICE is aware of the more aggressive tactics in recent months.

Bazail-Eimil added, "The emails and incident reports show that cases of ICE and Border Patrol using force go beyond isolated instances circulating on social media and surges in major cities such as Minneapolis.

"They also show that agency leadership has been aware that nationwide, the agency’s officers are using more aggressive tactics as the Trump administration has sought to increase the number of deportations of unauthorized immigrants."